Cape Tweed is the dedicated fabric brand of the Hinterveld Mill, weaving fabric for the international fashion industry. The Cape Tweed trademark originated from the region of the old Cape Colony in South Africa and is synonymous with exceptional craftsmanship. The fabric with its multi-dimensional weave structures, consisting of mostly Mohair and natural fibres, along with its interesting use of classic and vibrant colourways make it highly sought after both locally and internationally. Each year we launch a new Collection, and have recently returned from exhibiting at Premiere Vision in Paris with much positive feedback from customers. Our fabric is typically used by high-end fashion houses in the production of ladies’ garments targeting Autumn/Winter, but a Spring/Summer Collection is in the making.
“If traditional tweed employs primarily wool, Hinterveld “Cape Tweed” is an expressive combination of classic design, color and texture, using a slightly wider combination of natural fibers,”
- Weaving of fabric targeting the fashion industry, specifically the international brands with Haute Couture / High Fashion collections.
- 1 internal and 2 independent (external) textile designers ensure that the creative process remains fresh and relevant, always considering international trends.
- Fabric can be defined as ‘tweed’ using fancy yarns, giving a uniquely textured and ‘lively’ tweed look.
- Hinterveld seeks to produce fabric on slow speed power looms, with a distinctly hand crafted appeal.
- Creative yarn development at the Group’s spinning division next door is ideal for Hinterveld’s fabric inspirations.
How we work
- Made in South Africa
- Flexible to sample new colourways on request (with additional delay)
- Minimum sampling 15m
- Minimum first order 75m
- Production turnaround time est. 8 weeks
- Exclusivity offered on specific design colourways (depending on order volumes)
Hinterveld generally only services custom orders based on our own designs, although we are open to modifications on request. We encourage the download of the PDF of our digital collections. Please note that we do not carry stock on roll and are only able to send small sample cuttings on special request but encourage all serious interested parties to make contact with us, so that we can begin a dialogue and take it from there.